Thursday, 27 September 2012

The Sweeney

I don't think it will mean much to young people when I say that I get really pissed off when the movie industry remakes old classics from the 1960s and 1970s. But it does really, really piss me off!

I guess this is probably because it is hard to understand how important some of these programs are. Back in the 1970s, there were no computers or home video games to distract you. I used to spend most of my time drawing.  There were only three TV channels, and much of what was show must have been total crap because I don't remember it. After the kids shows finished, my parents would choose what we would watch... Thursday nights we would all sit down to watch Top of the Pops, and of course the Muppet Show was on Saturday night. We would always watch Morcambe & Wise, The Two Ronnies, and of course Porridge. My mum might want to watch Upstairs, Downstairs, or When the boat comes in (Which were really fucking bleak!).

But in my house, when dad wanted to watch something, it was a real event.He wouldn't have anyone making a noise, so we would all sit down in front of the TV. Food would be provided, at the very least it was sweets and crisps. Or he might bring home crab from the fishmonger, or in the winter he would roast chestnuts.

So when Budgie, Callan or The Sweeney came on, it was the highlight of the week. It is more than just nostalgia for me. Just hearing the theme tune stirs deep feelings. It is warm and comforting.

Aside from that, a program like the Sweeney was a product of it's time. How can you remake it and set it in 2012? It is just lazy, it is just trying to cache in. I really wish they would use their imaginations and come up with something original. The Sweeney is more than just a TV show. It's more than a cult classic.